Friday, May 24, 2013

Really, Call Me Slack

Wow, it's been 2 months since I've posted anything on this blog.  I'm surprised blogger hasn't shut it down for being inactive.

Some updates are definitely warranted by now. 

AUDIO BOOK UPDATE:  I found a narrator for the state series and State of Successes is all but  finalized.  The only thing holding me back right now is the cover.  I got the first cover from Heather (same cover as the printed cover but has to be changed to fit the standards for audible.com's preferences - now has to be squared like it will go on  a CD package) and noticed she didn't have the JGDS logo on it and that is really the key to the covers.  So I'm waiting for her to get that completed so I can upload it and sign off on the audio file to publish it.  Francene did a great job reading the game part and making it sound like the game - I hope that once the audio is released and with some other things going on that I can get back to the series and start putting more books out.  State of Wilderness will probably be contracted in June, with State of Heights in August and then State of Nature in late September/early October.  As soon as State of Quarries and State of Reservations are republished, then they will go up as audio books as well.

Republishing the books is a matter of funds right now.  That brings me to my next item.  Looking for a sponsor for the books.  Who, you ask, would be a  perfect sponsor for the series?  National Geographic Kids, of course.  I tried to call them this morning to get the ball rolling but the office is closed for the holiday (most everyone else is closed just Monday but the folks in DC seem to take the holiday to include the Friday before - lol).  Anyway, if things work out as planned with them as a sponsor, I should be back to getting books in the series published.  My campaign with indiegogo didn't work out at all as no funds were raised and that is sad since the series really does have merit and should be in schools. 

Speaking of schools, I was doing laundry the other day and met a teacher who is teaching 4th and 5th grade science now but just had surgery on his knee so wasn't at work but lucky for me we started chatting.  Next year he is teaching 3rd grade.  We talked about my books and I gave him a copy of State of Heights which he plans on making sure he uses the books in the fall.  I hope he contacts me for more books and possible school visits, et cetera.  Slowly but surely I am making my way to the schools, one teacher at a time, and if I get my sponsorship from Nat Geo Kids or headquarters, that will catapult me to the desired effect I want.   I'm not looking to get rich but to have the books in the schools and being used to supplement the curriculum, means I get my name out there.

TRAVEL AND TOURISM WEEK:  To show how slack I've been, I didn't even post about travel and tourism week which was this month.  I participated this year again and found it interesting that Amos had left and I didn't even know it until I had called near the beginning of the month (perhaps even the end of April) to talk to him and find out about scheduling some time to be at the welcome center.  Ma America was officially released during that visit (new costume and new look for myself).  I didn't get any pictures of her due to my camera battery dying, but I did get a few pictures of the tables of others who were participating that day.  You all will be seeing Ma America from the next event.

HIGH COUNTRY FESTIVAL OF THE BOOK:  June 22 is the High Country Festival of the book in Boone, NC.  This works out  for me as my parents lives in Lenoir and Boone is about 35 miles from them, so I don't have to pay hotel cost or food as my parents will feed me  -  lol.  The festival is being held at Watagua High School, so if you are in the area June 22, stop by and visit with Ma America. 

LOVE TO LEARN HOMESCHOOL CONFERENCE:  I didn't get to participate in this event last year because of lack of funds but this year, it is being held in a new place, Valdes, NC, which I found out  from my dad and  looking at the maps is only about 9 miles from my parents.  August 3 I'll be in Valdes, NC for the Love to Learn conference.  I'm looking forward to a new crowd of folks.  I will have to make sure my father announces to his church folks because I know there are some people who do homeschool in the church family and they could come to the conference if they are looking for new products et cetera. 

I'll post more as soon as I know what direction the sponsorship goes and as we get closer to events coming up.  See you all in the postings - Ma America, aka Mrs. E :)

3 comments:

Diplo_Daddy said...

Good luck with Natioal Geographic Kds! That would certainly be a huge catch.

elysabeth said...

That's hope that if NGKids is sponsoring the books that the schools will see they have worth and start carrying them since I know they carry the NGKids magazines and what not. I'll try to do better and keep ya'll posted on what is happening with that. I've been thinking of getting a sponsor for a couple of years now and it's finally time to do so. Thanks for stopping by - E :)

Anonymous said...

Best wishes with getting sponsorship for your books.

Web Page Hit Counter
Travelocity