Sunday, June 19, 2011

SCHEA conference - Great weekend

We started out late Thursday (about an hour later than planned) and we arrived to USC-Sumter about 8:30 (supposed to be out of the building around 9) to get our table set up.

Jess and I had the table setup somewhat by about 10 or 15 after 9 and then a few minutes we were kind of pushed out by the cleaning people.

I needed a couple of things so Jess and I headed over to Walmart. Jess found this delightful rug that answers the question "Where will the adventure take you next?" and I decided to buy it, although it was $5 more than I was planning on spending (actually it ended up being half price when, so it was well worth the cost). What do you think?




When we got back to the hotel, we had a hard time getting online and it took forever. I wanted to check my email and do a little plurking or socializing online, but that didn't happen.

Got up and headed back to USC-Sumter to do last minute fixing up of booth and wait for the crowds.

My table, done mostly by Jess:

(Full table view with mat and map)


(first three books plus the passport booklet)


(Passport booklet with books 4, 5 and 6)


I forgot to put out book 7's cover that I had printed off (was hoping that Wilderness's cover had gotten to me before leaving to print out and show everyone the new cover for the re-release but it didn't arrive in my email until I had shut down my computer and didn't even get it until I got to the hotel and got to check my emails Friday night; Heather is working on another cover now so that should be ready to be shared soon). Anyway here is Uncle Beary peaking out from between the Passport booklet and the cover from State of Acceleration; I even had one girl ask me how much he was - lol. I had to let her know that he is just my mascot, but it's all good.




Had four kids in my workshop on Friday afternoon but overall I think it was a successful day. Did sell two copies of State of Successes and one of the Passport booklets on Friday. Went to the Hibachi Grill and Buffet with a couple (Kyra and Dwight, WriteShop representatives) and enjoyed the company.

Saturday was kind of a slow day for everyone as the crowds were low and with half the vendors as compared to last year, we just couldn't compete with the big convention that just occurred in March in the upper part of the state (The Great Homeschool Convention Southeast conference - was supposed to draw folks from North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and possibly part of Florida). Dwight had said he was going to buy a couple of books for his nephew to read over the summer and after lunch, he came over to the table and bought a copy of all six books - lol. How is that for a day? All in all, a good weekend (I've not sold 9 books at any conference or event yet; I think the most I've sold at one sitting was 6 or 7 at the Love to Learn conference last August. I also had four or five people who remembered me from last year so that was a nice touch. My biggest thing is getting known and it is slowly coming, so I do consider this successful and we are on the right track.

Next big events that need to be paid for (and wow would I love to have some sponsors or some huge sales right about now - lol) will be the SCCSS and GCSS conferences ($425 and $300 respectively). I know if these are meant to be accomplished the funds will show up. Coming up in August is the school/library visit to Matthews Elementary School in North Carolina, Love to Learn homeschool conference, Mint Hill's Sunday in the Park, and maybe the Williamston Spring Water festival but may not do that one as I haven't heard much from folks about events. See you all in the postings - Ma America & the JGDS :)

3 comments:

Mr. Hughes said...

Glad that it was at least partly successful. Your booth setup was pretty cool! I like the new rug- lol. I hope that you continue to find success in your books. I know that I enjoy mine very much.

elysabeth said...

I can't take credit for the rug as Jess really found it but she did talk me into it. I got a few comments about it too - lol. Kids and parents were having a great time looking at the map and talking about trips and possible moves, so glad I have my map with me at all times. Thanks for stopping by - Mrs. E :) (aka Ma America) - lol

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Elysabeth .. as Mr Hughes said .. sounds as though it was partly successful - always the luck of the draw though.

The map sounds a wonderful idea .. and to talk people through their trip ..

Glad the Guides seem to be a good idea .. I'm sure you're onto a winner .. cheers Hilary

Web Page Hit Counter
Travelocity