Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Virtual class visits continue with some fun writing

It's been a while since I've posted anything about what is going on in the 6th grade class in Utah that I'm visiting via Internet (Smartboards and Google Talk). The last writing we really did was when I posted some of the pictures from the Harris Burdick Mysteries and tried to get some of you to participate by writing a start based on the lesson for the time. I had a few of you respond. So for December, the writing projects are as follows:

1) Write a letter to Santa - You are to write a letter to Santa Claus explaining what you want for Christmas and why you should get it. Remember to use good examples and reasons. Remember our 6-Traits lessons.

Requirements:
Length: 1 page Story board: Yes Rough Draft: Yes Editing Kit: Yes

2) Acrostic poems: You are to write 3 ACROSTIC POEMS using any of the words below:
Winter, Christmas, Snowflake, Snowman, Santa Clause, December, Holiday, Sharing, Fireplace, Sledding. You MUST choose from these words. Circle your three choices. The words you use to create the poems must be words or sentences that represent your thoughts and feeling about that word. Don’t just use a word because it fills the space!! Also illustrate each poem to match the words.

Requirements:
Length: 1 page each Story board: No Rough Draft: Yes Editing Kit: Yes

3) Short essay: You are to choose 1 of the following options and do it for your 3rd project. Write about your favorite family traditions OR your favorite Christmas memory. Remember you are to choose only one.

Requirements:
Length: 1 1/2 pages Story board: Yes Rough Draft: Yes Editing Kit: Yes


Now I don't much about writing poetry and don't know about storyboards for such short projects. So I've written my letter and one acrostic poem. For your viewing pleasure, here they are:

Snowflake (because I am partial to them in the winter - they are unique just like everyone in the world is)

Soft like a flower petal
Neatly falling
Over the
World
Falling from the sky
Landing in wet patterns
Across the still earth
Knowing that you will blanket the ground
Ever quiet the Snowflake



My letter is rather lengthy - was a page and a half single spaced but Mr. Hughes said it was okay to be longer than the 1 page he has on the project:

December 9, 2008




Dear Santa,

It's been a long time, over thirty-five years, since I've written a letter to you asking for anything. Believe me when I say it isn't because I stopped believing in you but it has more to do with lack of wanting anything. I have my family and semi-good health and a vehicle to get me from point A to point B, so I really haven't had anything I could really ask for. This year is different. I've had a pretty good year and I think I have been a good girl but the end is drawing near and I do have some needs. I am really not asking that you visit me but more my friends and family. So here is my list for them:

For my oldest child, Jonathan, I ask that you put a job in his hands, one that is fitting for his talents. He is frustrated having no funds to do the things he really wants to do. So bring him a good job.

For my other two children, Hailie and Benjamin, give them the wisdom to continue doing well in school and to know right from wrong as they grow to adulthood and start making it on their own.

For my friend Batya, I ask that she get a break in getting her business started and that she have an abundance of clients that she is never wanting anything. I also ask that something be done about her neighbor who is bound and determined to run her from her home. Please make him an offer he can't refuse, maybe a new housing area to live in or a change of heart. (From what I've heard the man is warped and needs a good whipping, so I guess he really gets the stocking full of coal this year.)

For my friend Jane, please bring her some joy. She's had such trials and tribulations this year that she really could use something good. Maybe an offer on one of her novels.

For my publisher Vivian, please bring her income to not have to worry about possibly shutting down the business. I don't think she realizes how the company will start turning a profit but it needs to be sooner rather than later. Her health is failing her and she is struggling. I am trying hard to stay on top of things because I am selfish, I have a large contract and I want to see her succeed, not only for me but for herself as well. I'd like to see every author she has contracted do well in their own rights (doing well is so subjective). I hope that all her illustrator needs are met and that she can get all the upcoming books out without too many problems. I know it's a business but she needs to be enjoying herself and right now, she is frustrated and talking of throwing it all away. I really don't want to be tossed in the trash. So send her something to keep her from losing it and to help give her a positive outlook on things.

For my friend Mr. Hughes, bring him a new laptop so we can continue having our virtual class visits. For his class of students, please bring them some books and good cheer, time with their family and lots of new ideas for future writing projects.

For my adopted children, I wish for them to always have a hug available when they need it. I wish for them to just have a fun holiday season. Their needs are all so different, I can't even fathom individual gifts for them.

For me, I would like a few things but I'll understand if you can't bring them. I'd like enough money in my checking account to live comfortably and be able to help the kids with college if they decide to attend. I'd like either a house that is ready to live in or a redo on this house with a bigger bathroom, a laundry room that is separate from the kitchen area, and storage spaces, closets or whatever. I'd also like an actual room for my bedroom and a room for my office. That way the kids can watch TV without disturbing me while I'm writing or working. I'm in dire need of a new vehicle, a mini van preferably. I also would like to see my geography series really take off and be in fourth through sixth grade classes around the country. I can hope for some awards on the first book but if nothing comes of that, I'm okay with it. I'll keep trying for those.

So you see, Santa, I'm not asking for too much this year, just hoping for a small break for lots of people. I wish for my friends and family a joyous and peaceful holiday and that all their dreams and wishes do come true.

Yours truly,



Elysabeth Eldering
Author of the JGDS 50-state, mystery, trivia series



Hope you enjoy and maybe some of you will write a poem or a letter or even your favorite memory. Go on, I dare you to post your writings - E :)

1 comment:

Mr. Hughes said...

I think those projects look fantastic- oh wait, it's 'cause I made them up! LOL Thanks for the challenge to other writers. Oh, and storyboards are such a great tool for novice writers- it helps them think through their story before they start writing so they aren't wandering the wilderness of writing for forever! I loved your poem (I still can't believe that you dislike poetry), and your letter to Santa was a great example for the kids today. Thanks for time you spend in our classroom! Talk soon!

Web Page Hit Counter
Travelocity